SUPERINTENDENT SCOTT SPEAKS…
Here We Go Again!We are fired up and ready to get back into action! What a summer it has been. If you have not had time to drive into the high school parking lot and look at all that has been accomplished on the building project, then you should do so. We are still on schedule going into the fall. The organization and communication going into making this project move along has been quite impressive. We have managed to work around several hiccups and remain on our timeline.
I have a lot of short notifications that all of you need to be aware of, so please take your time and read through the following. Because of all of the construction, there will be a lot of different things happening this year. We will appreciate your patience and understanding as we move forward. I will tell everyone involved that this will be a year of adjustments and changes on the fly!
Here we go:
- PIR DAYS FOR STAFF ARE AUGUST 25TH AND 28TH
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL AUGUST 29TH
- CROSS COUNTRY RUNS IN LIVINGSTON ON AUGUST 25TH
- ON AUGUST 26TH VARSITY VOLLEYBALL QUAD HELD AT MANHATTAN CHRISTIAN
- VARSITY FOOTBALL AT HOME JUNIOR VARSITY AUGUST 28TH AND VARSITY SEPTEMBER 1
- ALL ENTRY TO FOOTBALL GAMES FOR ENTIRE SEASON WILL BE ROUTED THROUGH WALKWAY BETWEEN SCHOOLS AND TICKETS WILL BE SOLD BETWEEN SHOP AND ELEMENTARY BUILDINGS.
- REMINDER TO AVOID CONSTRUCTION AREAS AT ALL TIMES
- PARENTS PLEASE GET INTO THE HABIT OF CHECKING IN AT FRONT DESK OF EACH BUILDING
- OPEN HOUSES ARE SLATED FOR AUGUST 28TH FOR GRADES 5-8 FROM 3-6 P.M. K-4 AND HIGH SCHOOL WILL BE SEPTEMBER 6TH
I attended a conference and the speaker shared some rather bold tips for student and parent success during a school year. Here are a few that I think are very good.
- MAKE LEARNING THEIR JOB
- SET GOALS
- PROVIDE STUDENTS WITH AN ADEQUATE HOMEWORK ENVIRONMENT
- STRESS READING COMPREHENSION
- ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO TRY AND FIGURE THINGS OUT ON THEIR OWN BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP
- COMMUNICATE POSITIVELY AND OFTEN WITH TEACHERS
- ACTIVELY VISIT THE SCHOOL WEBSITE
- TAKE ATTENDANCE SERIOUSLY
- TALK ABOUT SCHOOL AT HOME
We have some new faces on staff. Please take time to stop in and welcome them to our wonderful community. They include: Kate Davis in 1st grade and Hayley Pettit in 4th grade. Lauren Hausauer and Amanda Swenson will be the new 5th grade teachers. Bev Richardson will be working ½ time in the elementary library. It is a great set of new staff members and I am confident they will bring a lot of new ideas to the district.
This year, a new Math series will be used in grades K-5. The Special Education life skills room in the high school combined with the teachers’ lounge over the summer to form a new life skills room. We are looking at possible enrollments of being High School: 260+ students; Middle School: 120+ students; Elementary: 300+ students.
For the parents of new students, you have selected a fantastic school and community to live in. Our students and schools are consistently some of the most successful across the state. We have a high quality teaching staff and we set strong expectations for our students.
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year! Please don’t hesitate to stop by my office to visit. It is going to be a great year and we hope you have a chance to experience it with us by attending our many events!
Roll On Tigers,
Superintendent Manhattan School District